Dr. Kohulan Rajan is a young researcher from Sri Lanka. After completing his school education in Sri Lanka, he moved to Bangalore, India, for his higher education, where he received his Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology from Bangalore University. His passion for computational biology made him pursue his Master’s Degree in Bioinformatics from Savitribai Phule Pune University, India. He worked under Dr.Manali Joshi for his Master’s thesis, which was a program to generate conformers systematically for small molecules.
In 2017, he joined the group of Prof. Dr. Christoph Steinbeck at Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena, Germany, Having finished his PhD thesis under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Christoph Steinbeck and Prof. Dr. Achim Zielesny, he is now working as a postdoctoral researcher. He is primarily interested in cheminformatics, deep learning, and image recognition.
Kohulan is passionate about many things. He is a professional photographer and a passionate filmmaker. He is also the founder of Kohulan.R Photography and KO StudioZ. He writes poems, short stories and scripts in Tamil and English languages. In 2013 he released his first Tamil poetry book called “Suvadugal” (The Footprints). He also holds several diplomas in the field of computer education, which includes animation and film editing.
- Rajan, K., Brinkhaus, H.O., Zielesny, A. et al. A review of optical chemical structure recognition tools. J Cheminform 12, 60 (2020).
- Rajan, K., Zielesny, A. & Steinbeck, C. DECIMER: towards deep learning for chemical image recognition. J Cheminform 12, 65 (2020).
- Sorokina, M., Merseburger, P., Rajan, K. et al. COCONUT online: Collection of Open Natural Products database. J Cheminform 13, 2 (2021).
- Rajan, K., Hein, JM., Steinbeck, C. et al. Molecule Set Comparator (MSC): a CDK-based open rich‐client tool for molecule set similarity evaluations. J Cheminform 13, 5 (2021).
- Rajan, K., Brinkhaus, H.O., Sorokina, M. et al. DECIMER-Segmentation: Automated extraction of chemical structure depictions from scientific literature. J Cheminform 13, 20 (2021).
- Rajan, K., Zielesny, A. & Steinbeck, C. STOUT: SMILES to IUPAC names using neural machine translation. J Cheminform 13, 34 (2021).
- Rajan, K., Zielesny, A. & Steinbeck, C. DECIMER 1.0: deep learning for chemical image recognition using transformers. J Cheminform 13, 61 (2021).
- Brinkhaus, H. O., & Rajan, K. (2021). RanDepict (Version 1.0.0) [Computer software].